National Student Safety Survey: RMIT Services If You Need Support

Content Warning: sexual assault and sexual harassment. 

On Wednesday March 23rd the results of The National Student Safety Survey were released. The survey asked students to report experiences of sexual assault and sexual harassment at university. The findings of this survey were shocking. It found that 1 in 6 students have been sexually harassed since starting university and 1 in 20 students have been sexually assaulted since starting university. The survey also found that students who identified as women, who were LGBTIQA+ or who had a disability were more likely to experience harm. The results of this survey can be overwhelming and triggering. Further to this, the survey also found that more than half of students do not know where to go for help or where to report harm if they have experienced. 

We really want to get the word out that there are places you can turn to for support if you have experienced any kind of sexual harm.  

Where can I get support:

Compass is RUSU’s welfare service, and it is staffed by Thea and Jenna who are social workers with many years of experience. The Compass service is a free and safe space for all students, and you do not need to be a member of RUSU to access this resource. At Compass we provide students with support and information about relevant services both inside and outside of RMIT that could be of use to you. We are here to listen and help, so please reach out to us if you need to. You can arrange a time for an appointment via our email [email protected].

RMIT Counselling is a free service for all students, you can book an appointment online here.

CASA House is an incredible organisation that provides counselling, advocacy and crisis response service for people who have experienced sexual harm and sexual assault. CASA stands for Center Against Sexual Assault. You can also self-refer to this service. 

Ph: 9635 3610 or view information and resources on their website

Would you prefer to speak to someone on a hotline service? You can contact the following services to speak anonymously to trained professionals. 

1800 Respect

Ph: 1800 737 732 for people who have experienced sexual assault or domestic family violence.

Q Life

Ph: 1800 184 527 provides peer support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTQI) people and their friends, families and allies.

Where do I go to report:

If you want to report or talk to someone about your experience of sexual assault or harassment to RMIT, please contact RMIT Safer Community. This service is run by professionals who support students who have experienced harm or abuse. They can discuss reporting options with you and how RMIT can help to keep you safe during your university experience. They can also help refer you to specific counselling services. You can self-refer to this service by phoning or sending them an email. 

Ph: 9925 2396 [email protected]

If you would like to make a police report, you can do this by calling or visiting your local police station. You are welcome to take a support person with you, this may be a friend or family member. 

Find your local police station here:

Overall, we want to remind you to check in with your friends after the release of the survey. Remember to take care of yourself and please reach out to Compass to ask any questions you may have. 

Written by Compass Leaders Thea Lamaro and Jenna MacLeod.

Catalyst has been the student publication of RMIT University since 1944. We may be older than your parents but we’re still going strong!

Sign up for Catalyst Magazine

Get the latest on what's happening
* = required field